A Learn to Curl is a great way for anyone, age 14 and up, to get your first exposure to the Olympic sport of curling.
Each lesson is approximately 2 1/2-hours in length and is designed to introduce people to the basics of curling.
Participants will take part in physical game play, sweeping of the stone, and learn some of the rules and strategy used in curling.
Anyone age 14 and above, no matter your physical ability, can Learn to curl. So don't worry if you can't manage the traditional slide delivery
due to physical challenges; we will teach you how to deliver the stone using an alternative delivery called the "stick" method.
The Westminster Ice facility and the Orange County Curling Club are wheelchair friendly and welcome the opportunity to expose you to one of the
fastest growing sports in America.
A Learn to Curl session includes:
- 20 minutes of classroom instruction to go over terminology, ice safety, and rules.
- Approximately 2 hours of ice time.
- Instruction on how to deliver the stone, how to sweep, and basic strategy.
- A two- or three-end game (more if time allows).
- Dress in layers. The arena temperature is about 45-50 degrees. If you normally wear a hat outside, you'll probably want to wear one while curling as well.
- Clothing should allow freedom of movement. You need to be able to squat and lunge (blue jeans are not recommended since your movement is restricted).
- Lightweight gloves keep your hands warm while still allowing you to feel the stone.
- You'll be standing on ice for two hours so rubber soled shoes (tennis shoes) are the best option for comfort on the ice. Please note: high heels, sandals, and work boots will not be permitted on the ice.
- All equipment (grippers, brooms, stabilizers, sticks, etc.) will be provided by the club.
Location: Westminster Ice, 13071 Springdale St, Westminster, CA
Next Learn to Curl:
September 10, 2016 - 7:00 PM 14 spots remaining
Sign ups will be cut off 3 hours prior to the event.
Please arrive 15 minutes early to sign all waivers and for a classroom intro to curling before taking the ice.
Spectators are welcome!
* Waivers will need to be filled out before participation. If you are under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must be present to sign the wavier and be in attendance to chaperone. The OC Curling Club will not be responsible for any underage participants